Chemical engineering began to be taught as a subject since 1950 at the University of Chemistry and Technology Prague "UCT Prague" (former Institute of Chemical Technology), during Czechoslovakia republic period. In 1951 the Department of Operational Engineering which later became the Department of Processes and Apparatus and finally the Department of Chemical Engineering (ÚCHI) was founded. The credit for the establishment of this progressive field goes to prof. G.L. Standart and Prof. H. Steidl. Chemical Engineering has therefore a tradition of more than 45 years at the UCT Prague and is currently an integral part of the so-called Common Foundation for all study fields at the Institute of Chemical Technology.